Thursday, March 14, 2013

Like a Sir-geon.

My ceiliotomy and typhlotomy surgery was Tuesday. We made an incision in our sheep, Carl's, right flank and did an exploratory within his abdomen. I stuck my whole hand into his abdominal cavity and swept it around, feeling his liver, gall bladder, right kidney, small intestine, spiral colon, cecum, and urinary bladder. Then we exteriorized the cecum, made a hole, closed it with double inverting suture patterns, and closed the abdomen.

It was honestly one of the coolest things I've ever done. I was exhausted by the end, it was a 3+ hour long surgery, standing on my feet in a sweaty surgery gown, cap, mask and gloves. But yesterday when I went to check on Carl he was bright-eyed, calling out to greet us when we walked by the sheep pen, eating grass and accepting treats from us, and it was just so damn cool. I cut this animal wide open the day before, played around with his insides, and then sewed him back up and he is perfectly fine. Moments like that are so rewarding.

No comments:

Post a Comment