Saturday, May 19, 2012

Random things.

Week two of 5th semester is over with. Gosh, this semester is going to be intense. And it only gets more crazy from here, time-wise. 5th - 7th are basically a never-ending procession of labs, surgeries and SOAPing (subjective, objective, assessment and plan - how we evaluate our patients). This past week I learned how to tie up a sheep, do a skin scraping on a necropsy pelt stretched over a pickle barrel and had a phlebotomy lab. I'm actually very good with blood draws from saphenous and cephalic veins from my years as a tech, but I'd never done a jugular stick before and it took me a few attempts. Most people go too deep or straight through the vein, but I had the opposite problem of being too cautious and not going deep enough.

This past Monday was also my 29th birthday. My friends and I went out to Rock Lobster and had a great meal and an absolutely, obscenely huge bowl of sangria. I baked my own cupcakes because I'd been craving lemon cake and also wanted to try out the same recipe I'd used for a birthday cake that I baked for my mom a few years back. They turned out really good.

Raspberry buttercream with pink sugar sprinkles and fresh grated lemon zest.

Lemon cake with lemon curd filling.

On a completely unrelated note, this morning I caught a Huntsman spider in my shower. Just a little baby, but already as large as wolf spiders back home. These guys can get as big as tarantulas and are affectionately known as "donkey spiders" down here.


No comments:

Post a Comment