Saturday, September 14, 2013

Apologies.

I know I've been really lax in updating lately. It's a combination of being busy and tired and just not having too terribly much to say.

I finished my diagnostic medicine rotation last week. Necropsy was rough. Large animals like horses and cows are a serious work out to necropsy. I was so sore I could barely move some days. I went home with dried blood still on my elbows a couple of times. I'm not a fan, basically. It can be cool to see lesions and find the cause of death, but overall, it's a lot of bloody, nasty, hard work. But I got a good evaluation from the faculty, so that's nice.

I just finished my first week of my lab animal rotation this past Friday. So far it's been pretty slow. There were three first year students rotating through before they began classes last week. I mean, before they've had a single day of vet school yet they're on these rotations with fourth year students. It's kind of cool, I guess, for them, but I don't see that they get much out of it. The students on my rotation didn't seem all that enthusiastic. And it certainly bogs down the fourth years' experience. I don't really get it.

One really cool thing we did get to do on Thursday was head up to Chicago to get some experience with non-human primates used in animal research. I won't say much about that, because animal rights groups tend to go insane at the mention of research monkeys. I can assure you that all of the ones I saw were socially-housed, got lots of enrichment through music, toys, food, etc. and were in good health. Getting to pet monkeys for a day was pretty awesome.

It's finally getting cool here. Down in the 70s today. It was lovely. It's cool enough to sleep with my A/C off and the windows cracked tonight. I'm looking forward to my apartment smelling like the outdoors again.

I've been dieting, trying to lose some weight before graduation. I'm down six pounds so far!

1 comment:

  1. I don't think you should ever feel bad about the frequency of your updates -- it's YOUR blog! And congrats on your diet; that's hard work. :D

    ReplyDelete